Life as a triathlete, Vehicross's and off-roading

2011 Tucson Triathlon race report

After a week of no training (was able to get 2 runs in while there) while I was in Moab, I awoke having no idea how the race would go. The 4am alarm startled me awake. Ate a quick breakfast and then I was off to the University of Arizona’s Hillibrand pool , the venue for the race. The race consisted of a 825 yard swim, 12 mile bike, and a 3 mile run. After arriving, I set up my transition area and then headed back to my car to take an hour and a half nap since I was in the 10th wave (the fast men) which would start in 4 hours later. After I woke from my nap I sat and watched some of the early waves then got in a short warmup…a mile and a half run and 300 yards of swimming. After not swimming for a week I felt sluggish in the pool. It was now time for my wave to start. I found my lane and jumped in….1 minute ’til start. The start horn went off and we were on our way. The swim felt sluggish still. I watched as the competition on both sides of me lapped me,  not once, not twice, but three times. In my mind I felt I was swimming what would be a slow swim by my normal standards. I was in for a sweet surprise when I exited the pool and looked at my watch….one of my best swims! 11:33, good enough for the 25th best swim on the day.  My transition went smooth…tossed the goggles, strapped my helmet on, grabbed my bike and ran for the mount line. As I hit the mount line I conducted a near perfect flying mount and was on my way. I slipped my feet into my shoes and fastened the straps…ready to rock! The Tucson heat was starting to rise as was the wind. I immediately began to pick off a few of the faster swimmers. The bike consisted of a 3 lap course…each lap had a slight down hill, a pothole filled slight uphill, a false flat and then a slight downhill. The downhills I was cruising at 30+ mph, the uphills around 22mph. I had to weave my way through lapped traffic from earlier waves. As I came down the final downhill stretch to transition I slipped my feet out of my shoes in preperation for transition number 2. I rounded the final corner and as I hit the dismount line I threw my leg over the bike and jumped off running. I hung my bike on the rack and removed my helmet. I then slipped on my screaming yellow Fastwitch running shoes, grabbed my hat, sunglasses and number belt and headed out for the run. Total time for T1, bike and T2…30:03, 1oth fastest on the day. As I ran out of transition I put on my number belt, hat and sunglasses. I quickly settled in to a solid pace. Legs and lungs were screaming but I felt smooth and focused on maintaining my form. As I hit the UofA mall I began to pick off a few more of the faster guys and also lapped traffic from earlier waves. The sun was bright and it was warming up. I saw the lead men running the other way about 5 minutes up on me. I was feeling smooth and the pace was hard. I focused on maintaining my pace to the end. On the second lap I again saw the leaders and they hadn’t gained much time on me…I was holding strong and continued to pick off/lap others. I rounded the final corner and headed for the finish. I heard the announcer call my name, hit the line and was spent! 3 miles…19:20…11th fastest on the day. Overall time…1:00:57, narrowly missing the magic hour mark (next time!) but one of my fastest times on this course! I finished 12th overall and 1st in the 45-49 agegroup, 11 minutes faster than the 2nd place person in my agegroup!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s